For a unique blend of hardcore and lighthearted outdoor recreation for all ages, don’t miss the 10th annual Gunnison River Festival on June 22 – 23. The event kicks off this year with a new twist: the premiere of the Gunnison River Games in Legion Park on the evening of Friday, June 22. Compete with skill or luck in these dry-land challenges that are sure to entertain from 6 – 9 p.m. with live music as the backdrop. Also new this year is a continuous community raft float. Arrive at Gunnison Whitewater Park on June 23 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., board a shuttle with friends and float the Gunnison River back to the festival.
Gunnison Whitewater Park, located at the corner of Highway 50 West and County Road 38, is the home base for the festival all day on Saturday. River flows are lower than last year, so bring the entire family to the park; get in a demo boat, inflatable or on a stand up paddle board; and enjoy a fun-filled experience on the Gunnison River. Beginners will have instruction and support from veteran river users.
For costs, information, and registration forms, visit www.gunnisonriverfestival.com, www.Facebook.com/gunnisonriverfestival or call (970)901-6215. Pre-registration is going on now at the Gunnison Community Center.
Friday, June 22
• Event Registration, Gunnison River Games & Live Music by Tornado Rider, 6 – 9 p.m. – Legion Park
Saturday, June 23
• Curecanti Kayak & Canoe Paddle (race or tour in your lake kayak or canoe), 8 a.m. – Starts and ends at Elk Creek Marina on Blue Mesa Lake (Curecanti National Recreation Area)
• Registration Booth Opens, 9 a.m. – Whitewater Park
• Demos, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Whitewater Park
• Competitive Raft Race, 10 a.m. – Rockey River Resort to Whitewater Park
• Kayak Competition (Recreational and Competitive), 11 a.m. – Whitewater Park
• River Fun Zone for Kids (interactive and educational activities to understand watersheds and underwater life, foam boat races and a Strider Cup bike race), beginning at 11 a.m. – Whitewater Park
• Community Raft Float, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Board the shuttle at Whitewater Park
• Inflatable Rodeo, 12:00 p.m. – Whitewater Park
• SUP Surf Comp, 1 p.m. – Whitewater Park
• Hooligan Race (competitors race in boats made from non-boat materials such as inner tubes, kegs, barrels, etc.), 2:30 p.m. – Whitewater Park
• Closing ceremonies 4:00 p.m. – Whitewater Park